In 1848, Mr. Roque Molera Rivera founded an association of people with vestment imitating romans’ costumes used in Murcia’s capital, this association of romans soldiers was called ‘armaos’, and they promised to take out, at the expenses of them, the paso ‘Los Azotes’ and to manage the descent of the image ‘Christ’ or ‘Nuestro Señor a la Columna’, from the Franciscan Convent of Santa Ana del Monte for participating in the processions of Easter Week, taking the paso out for its public veneration.
In 1849 it was made effective the creation of the Brotherhood Cristo Amarrado a la Columna, integrating the ‘armaos’. According to the minutes of the brotherhood, it has been adopting different names through its history, from ‘Nuestro Señor a la Columna’, ‘Jesús Nazareno a la Columna’, ‘Jesús a la Columna’, etc. In 1889 it is already called ‘Santo Cristo de la Columna’, until coming to the current name ‘Cristo Amarrado a la Columna’. Thus, it is deduced that the Brotherhood of Cristo is not a split from other brotherhood, so it was already founded with its own entity.
In 1888 it already was a custom that the Brotherhood of Cristo organised the Entrance of Jesus to Jerusalem (Palm’s Sunday) and the Capture (Holy Wednesday).
HOUSE OF THE BROTHERHOOD
The Brotherhood has his headquarters at 49 Barón del Solar Street. It is made up of a ground floor, first and second floor.
The ground floor is dedicated for a museum where it is exposed, during the Easter Week, the image Cristo Amarrado a la Columna on the frame that is used in processions.
The first floor is dedicated to a chapel, where the Franciscans Fathers can celebrate the holy mass, boardroom, library, and the offices for secretary, treasury and presidency.
The second floor will be dedicated for an events hall.
DAY OF PROCESSION
Amargura’s Procession and Calvario’s Procession.