Brotherhood Santísimo Cristo Amarrado a la Columna
The Armaos were created by a group of people who decided to take part in the Jumilla’s Easter Week processions, in 1848. The following year, in 1849, these same people met with a solid purpose of creating a Brotherhood, and they did it, according to a canonical right, to which they named ‘Jesús Nazareno’, making patron of it to the image of Nuestro Padre Jesús a la Columna, a Salzillo’s work, in 1756. Property of the Franciscan Fathers of the Santa Ana del Monte Convent of our municipality, commonly called, from 1895, Cristo Amarrado a la Columna.
In the Palm’s Sunday afternoon, the Christ is lowered on shoulders, always accompanied by the ‘armaos’, according to the regulations, from the Santa Ana’s Sanctuary to the Santiago’s Church, for taking part in the Easter Week’s processions.
It is, without a doubt, the Brotherhood of all the Jumilla’s people, because of the great devotion that Jumilla has on the Cristo Amarrado a la Columna, which was proclaimed Jumilla’s Patron Saint by popular acclaim.
It was erected canonical in Santiago’s Church.
According to the design of Antonio Mañas. It is of maroon velvet and with hood of the same colour. In the front part of the hood is embroidered in gold the Brotherhood emblem.
The standard: anonymous, from the end of the 19th century, embroidered in gold on purple silk, with a central drawing of Reyes Guillén. Standard of silver silversmithing on purple velvet, with the representation of the venerable image.
Faculties: made in gold and semi-precious stones by Masnera y Carreras S.A. in 1956.
It represents the moment of the Jesús flagellation tied to the column, flogged by two executioners.
The Murcian maker of religious images, Francisco Salzillo Alcaraz, was born the 21st May 1707. Son of the Neapolitan Nicolás Salzillo and the Murcian Isabel Alcaraz. After his father’s death in 1727, he took responsability of the familiar studio. In 1746 he got married with Juana Vallejo Taibilla. In 1779 he founded the Drawing School, being its first director. He died on the 2 March 1783.
The primitive silver throne was done in the 19th century, rectified and completed with four gothic lanterns in 1978 by the Valencia’s Brothers Peris. Currently, it marchs on platform of wood with a golden bath, sculpted by Mr. Mariano Spiteri in 2006, and it is carried by three men turns, every one composed of twenty-eight walking men, and a turn of women with thirty-one walkers.
Invalid Displayed Gallery