The Brotherhood Nuestra Señora de la Soledad, could have its origins in the foundation of the Confraternity Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno, in the 18th century. Its autonomy demonstrates between 1915 to 1963. The ancient Soledad was found in the Salvador’s Church originating from the Convent Las Llagas de San Francisco, called in those days as Brotherhood La Virgen de los Dolores.
During the 19th century and half of the 20th, the images of the Nazareno and the Virgen de la Soledad were under the patronage and sponsorship of the Pérez de los Cobos, who did not economize means for reaching the splendour of the two processional pasos.
In 1943, Mrs Walda Velasco de Gregorio ordered to the Valencian sculptor Ignacio Pinazo Martínez the current carving of the Virgen de la Soledad, which comes to replace the former destroyed in 1936.
In 1963 Mrs Consuelo Martínez Guardiola, with a group of Ladies refounded the new Brotherhood under three basic pillars: 1st it would be a brotherhood totally formed by women and 2nd its clothing would pass to be a black dress with Spanish mantilla and 3rd passing to be named Brotherhood Nuestra Señora Santísima Virgen de la Soledad.
In the beginning of 2004 Mrs Consuelo decides leaving her charge, after 41 years and convening new elections. On the 15th January 2005, it is elected the new Board of Directors presided by Mrs María Dolores Fernández Martínez, who would give a new impulse to the Brotherhood, restoring the throne, the Brotherhood’s House and making a new standard; renouncing to her charge because of being elected councillor in the Jumilla’s Council, convening new elections on the 21th June 2008, winning Mrs María Abellán Martínez, who together with her Board of Directors have given a new and young air to the brotherhood, making the 2010 a new date for keeping in memory at making a solemn Canonical Coronation of the Virgen, with an extensive calendar.
The Confraternity counts with a House, where it keeps its heritage, throne, standard and the rest of belongings of the Brotherhood. 48, Barón del Solar Street.
DAY OF PROCESSION
On Good Friday evening, Procession of the Burial.