Royal Confraternity Jesús Prendido y Stma. Virgen de la Piedad
It was born in the middle of the 19th century, concretely in 1848, founded by Mr Roque Molera as a section of the Brotherhood Jesús Nazareno. In 1850 it is created the procession of the Capture. The Brotherhood walked with an ancient image for dressing of Jesús Prendido by an anonymous author, currently in possession of the Confraternity Jesús Nazareno, until 1928. At the beginning of the 20th century, the Brotherhood figures as a section of the brotherhood Cristo Amarrado a la Columna. In 1929, Mrs Rosario Espinosa de los Monteros y González-Conde, orders to the Valencian sculptor Ignacio Pinazo an image of Jesús Prendido that would walk until 1936, year in which it was destroyed during the Spanish Civil War. In 1952, under the presidency of Mr José López Alonso, the Brotherhood incorporates to the processions the current work by Ignacio Pinazo which was defrayed by the Festivity Comission of the Honourable Council of Jumilla. In 1967, under presidency of Mr José María Simón it is totally indepent and it becomes the Brotherhood Jesús Prendido. Since April 1990, Her Majesty the Queen Mrs Sofía is the President of the Brotherhood.
Canonically erected in the Santiago’s Main Church.
Ivory white wool tunic with purple cuffs and buttons, purple velvet wide sash, wool cape in the same colour than tunic (with triangular shield embroidered with Lord’s Eye on the left shoulder) and purple velvet hood.
The standard: made in the workshops of José Manuel Reina from Sevilla in 1984, embroidered on purple velvet to the tapestry, it carries a central oil by José Romero Benítez and it goes accompanied by two rich lanterns of embossing silver realised in the workshops of Luis Jiménez from Sevilla in 1990.
The medal: it is based in a paleo-christian skylight adorned with a monogram of Christ, found in a dig in our city and dated between the 4th and 6th centuries, it possibly is the most ancient Christian testimony in Jumilla. The medal, an openwork, has the monogram of Christ of the skylight inside an ellipse similar to the existent line in the original model.
Music: sinde the beginning of the 20th century, the band of drums and cornets of ‘Los Armaos’ from Cristo Amarrado a la Columna, accompany the Brotherhood in the procession of Jesús Prendido. The processional march “Jesús Prendido” was composed by the master Mr Julián Santos.
Angels: the image is accompanied in the Holy Wednesday’s procession, the procession of Jesús Prendido, by the three angels who previously take part in the sacred play of “The Capture”. The angels, represented by girls with their communion dresses, carrying in their hands a cross, the holy chalice and a pair of wings.
It represents the moment of the Capture of Jesús in the Mount of Olives. Paso composed by the image of Christ that, alone, He descends the slope of a so-called crag, form depicting the base on which he is sculpted. Jesús has the glance low, the feet, one more advanced than the other in gesture of walking, both wearing sandals, the arms fall close by the body until crossing the hands in front, which are tied by the wrists. The tunic in orange tone lets uncovered the left shoulder until half the arm, opens at the chest, partially covering the right part considering that it covers this shoulder; on this it rests the blue cape which is introduced by the right arm and falls upright by the back. A cord surrounds its body at the level of the shoulder blades and from the top of the right arm it falls until almost the waist for surrounding the forearm where close to the elbow it joins the two ends of the cord with a knot. As it can be seen, the cord is more symbolic than functional. The head is leaned towards below and towards the left; bearded and with long hair, the air presents a red colour, not very usual. The image seems to descend serene and absorbed, without gaps, like columns.
Realised by the religious images carver Ignacio Pinazo Martínez from Valencia in 1952. Pinazo was born in Valencia on the 30th April 1883 and he died in the same city in 1970, he studies in Madrid in the San Fernando Fine Arts School and he is disciple of Mariano Benlliure, in his way by Rome and Paris he knows and learns from the artistic avant-gardes from the first half of the 20th century, reaching to receive classes from Rodín in Paris.
The throne is realised in carved and golden wood, decorated with vegetal motives, it goes illuminated by eight candelabra, four of them of five arms and the rest of three, it was made by the Murcian sculptor Miguel García Carmona in 1993. The attractive flowering that accompanies the throne is realised by the Confraternity’s brothers, being different in each one of the processions in which it takes part.
Invalid Displayed Gallery