San Antón’s Chapel
On the 22th March 2002 (Sorrows Friday), this Chapel is handed, in a solemn act, with the presence of the Mayor and the Town Councillors, by part of the honourable Town Hall, the President of the Central Board of Brotherhoods and the Confraternities’ Presidents. The creation of this first Easter Museum, is a fact.
We can appreciate on it a little showing of the rich and varied imagery, so as of standards and tunics, which form our Easter. As for the sculpture, we can admire a little representation, being currently on exhibition; the Cristo de las Cinco Llagas (Vázquez Juncal, 1993), which presides over the exhibition at the main altar; the Aparición a Santa María Magdalena (Hernández Navarro, 1993), wonderfully erects at the middle of the chapel; carrying on by the gospel’s side, we have the Cristo Humillado (Spiteri Sánchez, 2003), and we have La Samaritana (Lozano Roca, 1949), in the chapel; in the epistle’s side we have the Verónica (Francisco Liza, 1997), and in the chapel, a Virgen Dolorosa (Sánchez Lozano, 1964), carving owned to the group Santo Costado de Cristo.
We can contemplate an excellent collection of some of the most representative standards of our confraternities, as they are the Oración del Huerto (Abellán Mula / José David, 1966). Beso de Judas (Salvador Palao / López Martínez), Cristo de la Caída (Bleda Carrión / Ciriaco Ruiz), Vera Cruz’s Brotherhood and Santo Sepulcro (Alfredo Lerga, 1942). We can also admire diferent brotherhoods’ tunics, corresponding to several periods. All this is in a faithful reflection of our processions and our religious imagery heritage that, yet being small, it makes an effort for teaching us the splendour of our Easter Week.
Saturday: from six to eight in the evening. Sunday: from eleven in the morning to half past one in the afternoon.
Visits can be arranged calling to the 968 78 04 24 or 968 78 27 40.
SANTIAGO’S MAIN CHURCH AND MUSEUM-CHAPEL OF THE SANTO SEPULCRO
The museum is placed in a quiet Renaissance chapel, where in the past it was situated the primitive sacristy of the church, before the construction of the current one of baroque style. This octagonal floor small chapel, crowned by an extraordinary dome that ends with a trimming of fruits from which departs a cap of rays, simulating a scallop as a remembrance to the temple’s holder, the Apostle Santiago, and underneath them a spacious octagonal drawer; six niches are at its foot, where they are situated some processionals images of Easter and a small treasure of the Church, and we can admire the Parochial Manga from 16th century, a custodian holy chalice from same century and a crucifix, a work by Francisco Salzillo.
The Cristo Yacente presides over the room, above the chapel altar, work by José Planes Peñalver (1942); the Cristo de la Sentencia, by Javier Santos de la Hera (1979); San Juan, by Román y Salvador (1942); Jesús Resucitado, José Planes (1959); Jesús Prendido, by Ignacio Pinazo (1952); and the Virgen de la Esperanza, by Ramón Cuenca (2002).
We can also admire, inside the temple, other images which are exhibited to the worship and that they march on Easter. In the Epistle’s part and in the Lozano’s Chapel, we can admire the Cristo de la Vida, a work by José Planes (1945). In front of it and at the chapel that gives way to the Communion’s Chapel, we can see the Cristo de la Misericordia, a work by Hernández Navarro (1992), and already inside the Chapel, entering to the right we have the imposing crucifixed of Cristo de la Expiración, by Javier Santos de la Hera (1982); followed by the Traslado al Sepulcro by Manuel Romero (1993), in front of them we can see two wonderful works by Ignacio Pinazo, Santa María Magdalena (1942), and beside it, Nuestra Señora de la Soledad (1944).