MUSEUM-CHAPEL OF THE ROLLO’S CONFRATERNITY
It was started on the 22th March 1997, by the Most Reverend Mr. emeritus bishop of the Cartagena’s Diocese, Monsignor Javier Azagra Labiano.
It is placed at the street Portillo de la Glorieta, very closed to the Rollo street, of where the Confraternity was born in 1941. It is the consequence of one of the most brilliant initiatives that the Jumilla’s passionate brotherhoods have had, in particular the one of this Confraternity ‘El Rollo’, given that, this way, it puts in value the Confraternity’s heritage during all year. On it, it is guarded and it is given worship to the Confraternities’ pasos: Ecce-Homo (1942), the Confraternity’s main paso, work by, possibly, the best maker of religious images from Murcia of the 20th century, Juan González Moreno. Descendimiento de la Cruz (1952), work by the distinguised Murcian sculptor José Planes Peñalver; Aparición de Jesús a Santo Tomás (1984), Negación de San Pedro (1993) and Elevación a la Cruz (2008), by the Murcian sculptor José Antonio Hernández Navarro.
The chapel is prepared inside it for the mass celebration, and it is given mass every first Sunday of each month, officiated by the Franciscan Fathers from Santa Ana del Monte.
First Sunday of month: from ten to half past eleven in the morning.
Visits can be arranged calling to:667 45 55 06.
BESO DE JUDAS’ CONFRATERNITY CHAPEL
It was opened on the 17th April 1999. The chapel consists of a 100m2 nave, and its facade is decorated in white and ochre tones, over them standing out the maroon of the door, the brotherhood official colour, and it is silhouetted the confraternity bronze shield. A bell gable stands out on the door top, whose bell wears engraved the Confraternity’s name and the construction’s date and it announces the entrance and exit of the thrones. On it, they are guarded the thrones and images of: San Pedro (1966), by Juan González Moreno, Beso de Judas (1989), by Mariano Spiteri, and Coronación de Espinas (1998), by Spiteri too.
The Chapel only remains opened during Easter Week.
JESÚS NAZARENO’S MUSEUM
It is placed at the central Arriba Square, tourism neuralgic centre of the town and one of the most emblematic and symbolic, inside the historical and artistic group of Jumilla, it is found the Jesús Nazareno’s Museum, a model regarding to confraternity’s art, together with the Santiago’s Church and the Concejo’s Palace, converted into Archaeological Museum.
The building, of a great architectural value, stands out by its facade and a great singularity dome that doesn’t leave distant to the visitor.
Its interior, in line with the whole building, is formed by three spacious halls, in two of them is exposed the large artistic heritage that the Jesús Nazareno’s Confraternity has been amassing for decades. By one side, all the sculptoric groups with their respective processional pasos, and in the other hall, all the artistic pieces that form the processional trousseau: crosses, standards, tunics, embroideries, silversmithing, etc.
On the third floor placed in the basement, we find the Exhibitions hall Mr. Roque Molera, destinated for the developing of numerous and diverse cultural function of any field: itinerant exhibitions, concerts, projections, seminars, workshops…
Currently the Jesús Nazareno’s Museum is part of the regional web of museums ‘Murcia’s Museums’, and forms a cultural and turistic big engine for the city and its visitors
The museum remains open and can be visited by public in general during the whole year in visits timetable every Sunday from half past ten in the morning to two o’clock in the afternoon.