Confraternity La Samaritana
It was founded in the 19th century, being part of the confraternity La Vera Cruz y El Santo Seculcro, from whom it separated in 1943. In 1949, the brotherhood, making a great effort, uses for the first time, the current paso. The group is formed with three pieces: Samaria’s woman effigy, a woman’s gorgeous figure, richly dressed with delicate colours: apple-green and wood-pink, with wonderful silks in fine gold. The Lord with maroon-colour robes and tunic with a very delicate mauve tone, with the same silk, and finally, the well, link element between both statues.
Canonically erected in the Santiago’s Main Church.
It represents the moment in which Jesús meets the Samaritan woman at the Samaria’s well and He told her “Woman, give me to drink”
The statues are a wonderful work by the Murcian sculptor Mr. José Lozano Roca, seen for the first time in 1949, and restored in 1995 by the Jumilla’s sculptor Mr. Mariano Spiteri.
It is carved in golden wood. With excellent vegetable shapes, of beautiful flowery branches, from its base emerges superb candelabras, four of them with five branches, and another four smaller placed among the bigger ones, profusely illuminates the magnificent throne, which shines, very elegant, in the Holy Wednesday’s evening. Lanterns are of white colour adorned with padded hangings of gold-yellow colour, the combination is completed with a golden cord in wave-shape, forming lilies motives, from which it hangs large golden tassels.
The hood and tunic are of virgin wool in bone-white colour, adhered with a maroon cord with franciscan knot, and it completes the combination a very wide maroon cape of the same cloth.
It is made of maroon velvet, with rich embroideries on silks of different colours. It is a excellent work, made by the Dominicas Mothers in 1943. In the centre, it is trimmed with flowers and vegetal motives, it appears a photograph with a detail of the Samaritana of 1949, with a photo of the previous president Antonio Verdú. In 2008 it is made a new one made in India, with design by José Tévar, and with the holy card’s painting of Bartolomé Medina.