Royal Confraternity Jesús Nazareno
Founded in 1856, it walked with the primitive image by Mr. Joaquín Baglietho, in a single paso which was destroyed in 1936. In 1942 it was replaced by a paso of four images by the sculptor Mr. Mariano Rubio, which disappeared in the terrible fire in 1975. Javier Santos de la Hera made one which replaced the previous one that walked between 1976 and 1998, being definitely replaced by the image by Mr. Francisco Liza in 1999.
Canonically erected in the Santiago’s Main Church.
Guide Cross: of an inarguable Andalusian influence, this piece stands out at the start of the Confraternity’s retinue because of its bustling, jubilant cabrileo of light and brightness obtained by the polished gold of the finished of its openwork carving and its background mirrors. Its design is inspired in the filigree crosses which conclude certain celebration rosaries. A design by Mr José Tévar García, made in the workshops of Antonio Vega from Sevilla, in 1972.
Guide Lantern: it is about a pair of accompanying lanterns, of a rich and meticulous ornamentation, with the characteristic ‘horror vacui’ of the Sevillian silversmithing.
It represents the moment in that the Holy Woman verónica, dries Jesús’ face, at the Calvary’s way. Elegantly placed, she holds the Holy Face cloth with delicate expression, while her face shows tenderness and compassion.
Mr Francisco Liza Alarcón, was born on the 24th March 1929 in the Murcian’s district Guadalupe. A disciple of the famous Murcian sculptors Mr José Sánchez Lozano and Mr Juan González Moreno, his style is of a strict Murcian Baroque (Salzillo’s style).
Carved wood with vegetal motives and draped cloths, all of it in silver. The illumination consists in four candelabra of five arms with wrought lampshades. The floral adornment is assembled on four pitchers of silvery silversmithing. Made in the workshops of Domingo García from Albatera (1999).
The anderos wear a black wool tunic with adornment of vivid blue satin. The shield of the chest and the adornments of the hood and sash are embroidered flowers in silver-grey silks.
According to the design by Mr. José Tévar García, it is made in the workshops in Agra, India, in 1998. It is of blue velvet, embroidered in gold, silver and nuanced silks, with a central oil which represents the image, a work by Bartolomé Medina. The entire area is hightlighted by a floral decoration, while in its perimeter, almenillas and lower tabs develope a fine rococo ornamentation.